Monday, August 5, 2013

The Life of Opening an Area

So in case any of you are curious, opening up a new area is not thefunnest thing I have ever done haha.  We literally have like nothing.... not even a house!  Right now we live with our Zone Leaders, in their tiny study room.  We had to take out there desks, put them outside, and put in our mattresses.  The room is about 8x10 at the most, and to close the door, we have to prop a chair in front if it so it doesn't swing open; theres no doorknob or anything like that.  So all we have are two mattresses and our suitcases.  The mattresses are just on the ground, and we have to live out of our suitcases.  We didn't even have blankets haha, we had to borrow them from the ZLs.  I honestly feel like I am camping, you wake up and its super cold outside, you have to dig through your bag to find your clothes for the day, all that's missing is the fire and smores.  On top of all that, our area is mega far from their house, so we have to walk about 1.5-2 miles just to get to our area!  And since its so far away, they barely ever worked up there, we have like one investigator. Needless to say, we are starting from scratch!  Oh and I don't have a cell phone, and I'm District Leader.  I'm the only DL in the mission that doesn't have a phone, which is a problem cuz I have to communicate with my District, but can't!  Interesting life huh?  Keep in mind this is since Tuesday night, so we are desparately looking for somewhere to move into.

So since we don't have anything, we have been trying to fix that problem all week, which means we didn't get to spend hardly any time proselyting.  We literally dedicated all afternoon on Friday and Sunday to looking for rooms, abut 8 or 9 hours of searching with no luck.  Not to mention all the other time we spent during other days. We have found rooms for rent, but they are either super small, or don't have a private bathroom (thats a rule in the mish), or have a bathroom but no shower (what kind of bathroom doesn't have a shower?), or stuff like that.  There is always like one thing wrong that keeps us from being able to rent it, haha its so annoying!  And on top of all that , we have a limit that we can spend, and all the rooms that have what we need, are too expensive.  But me and my comp are both desperate to find a place to live.  Having only 80 square feet for two mattresses, two missionaries, and all of their luggage, doesn't work out great!

Speaking of my comp, he seems like a pretty cool guy.  His name is Elder Chacon, and he is from Chimbote, Peru.  He has been here in Bolivia for only four weeks, so I am finishing his training. Unfortunately, there hasn't been much training going on with our search for houses.  So I haven't been able to get a good read on him quite yet, cuz we are almost always with our zone leaders.  But once we get our own place and start working on our own I will get to know him better.  Seems like one of the better comps that I've been put with so far, so we will keep our fingers crossed!

What else happened this week?  I spent all day Wednesday in a Training meeting.  All of the Trainers here in Cocha had a big training orientation type deal that we had to go to.  It started at 11 am, and we didn't finish till 7 pm.  And you thought your meetings were long haha.  The only saving grace of that meeting was that Elder Knight was there, cuz he is finishing training an Elder in Potosì.  So that helped alleviate the pain of an 8 hour meeting.

That wraps it all up for this week.  Quite the adventure wouldn't you say?  Just another thing that I realized I took for granted:  housing!  But don't worry, I'm not dying or anything haha, just things could be more comfortable, I still eat all of my meals, so I'm not starving either.  Just if you guys could send some prayers our way so we can find a place to stay, it would be appreciated!

Hope everyone is doing well back in the good old US of A.  I miss you guys!  Talk to you next week!

Love,
Elder Sehestedt

No comments:

Post a Comment