Monday, December 30, 2013

2013 at Its End

Well this week 2013 comes to a close!  Crazy to think that I spent every single day of 2013 here in Bolivia.  But this next year I'm coming home!  It will be here before we know it!

So this week was pretty uneventful believe it or not.  Between Christmas and getting ready for the wedding and baptisms we had, they occupied all of our time!  But it was a great week really, and we were able to get everything done that we needed!

Saturday rolled around, and man, stress levels were a little bit high haha.  Like I always say, you always are on your toes on Baptism days, because anything and everything can happen.  And since we were having a wedding, and a baptism, of a whole family, I was bracing myself for some madness!  But believe it or not everything happened pretty smooth!  Thanks for all of your prayers, I know without a doubt that that is why nothing crazy happened, so thank you!

But preparing for everything Saturday morning, we were able to see a small miracle which was pretty cool.  I don't know if I've explained this before, but here in Bolivia, the houses and building dont have a constant source of water.  Like in the US, you can go to any facet and you have as much water as you want, any time you want it.  But here, the water only comes to certain areas at certain times and on certain days.  Sometimes its everyday, sometimes its only two or three times a week.  But almost everyone has giant tanks in their house, so when the water does come, they fill up the tank, and live from that, until the water comes again and they can fill it up.  And we complain about stupid stuff haha.  But anyway, in the morning we were filling up the baptismal font and cleaning up the church, and everything was fine, minus the fact that there were no brooms in the whole church haha. But what was incredible is that right as the baptismal font finished filling up, the church ran out of water!  There was no water in the whole church, in the kitchen, in the bathroom, nothing, completely dry.  So without a doubt I count that as a blessing, that we were able to fill up the font just fine.

After that a little bit of stress started to set in, cuz it was about 3, and nobody was there.  The thing here is that nothing happens on time.  If you say something starts at 5, people start showing up at 6. So that's what we did with the wedding.  We told everyone 3, when it really started at 4.  But everyone was gonna show up at 2 to decorate for the wedding.  But like I said, at 3, nobody was there.  Luckily they started showing up, and we had to work quick to set everything up.  But luckily we got everything done.  And right at 4 the lawyer in charge of the wedding showed up, and right behind her the Olivera family.  At that point the stress left, and I knew we were in the clear!

The wedding went well, and I was one of the witnesses, so I had to sign a bunch of papers and all that good stuff, so that was fun.  After that, we changed into the baptismal clothing, and went straight to the font haha.  The Bishop baptized Jaime, the husband, I baptized the wife Teresa, and Elder Garcia bapitzed their kid David.  I shared a little thought after their baptism, and I told everyone it was
your anniversary too, and everyone did the classic "awwwwww" haha.

After the baptism, we had a reception for them, that the ward set up, and it was pretty cool.  The ward took care of refreshments, treats, drinks, and even the wedding cake!  There was a DJ too, but not like a crazy cool party DJ haha, like a wedding DJ with music that they could dance too.  So it was really fun to see Jaime and Teresa dancing and having fun with the members, they both had giant smiles the whole time, so that was just way cool.  We left early, but I assume they kept partying for awhile.  Then on Sunday they showed up to church early, and were confirmed members of the church and received the Holy Ghost in Sacrament meeting.  Normally with the convert baptisms here, the Bishop confirms them.  But this time the Bishop only confirmed Jaime, and let us confirm the other two.  So that was really cool, the first time that I've confirmed anyone a member!

And that's the end of my week.  Everything went really well, thanks again for all your prayers!  Now it's back to looking for more families like them that we can teach!

Hope everyone has a fun new years!  Miss you guys!  See you this year though haha.  Talk to you next week!

Love,
Elder Sehestedt

Had to sign some papers to be a witness for the wedding!

Baptism - Olivera Family

All the Missionaries at the Baptism

Cake!



No comments:

Post a Comment