Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Week One in Peru

Well the Peru MTC is awesome!  I am so glad I am here instead of Provo!  It did take forever to get here though.  Our flight from Atlanta to Lima was about 6 and a half hours.  We landed at about midnight, and on the runway they announced who won the election, needless to say we were disappointed.  It was funny because half the plan booed and the other half cheered.  Anyway, we had to pick up our bags and go through customs and all that fun stuff, so by the time we got on the bus it was about 1:30.  Then we drove through Lima to get to the MTC and got there at about 2:15, so late!  Luckily our first day they let us sleep in till 9 and the schedule was really relaxed.  It was a little bit overwhelming though because everyone here is Latino, I think there are like 30 North Americans and like 110 Latinos.  And they all talk really fast and smash their words together!  So the first couple days it was really hard to understand what they were saying and talk to them.  But we had Fast Sunday this this week, so I fasted and prayed that the language would come easier and that I would be able to understand what everyone was saying, and I can definitely see the difference.  I have learned so quickly these past couple days!  I think I have learned more in this one week than all three weeks in Provo!  And I can finally roll my R's, so that's fun haha.

My new companion here is Elder Hudson, who is from Everett, Washington, and he is awesome!  Me and him are super alike, it's only been one week, but so far we are getting along well.  We live in a room with 4 Latino roommates, who are all pretty cool, but also pretty quiet.  Unless they decide to wake up at 5:30 in the morning one day for no reason, then they sound like a pack of elephants.

The schedule here is a little bit more relaxed than Provo, but we still do a ton.  Instead of class though, we practice teaching other companionships in our district, and sometimes we teach the Latino districts, which is pretty intimidating considering Spanish is their first language.  But all the Latinos here are so much fun and so nice.  They always say hi to us gringos and want to talk with us.  We play fútbol with them every day during gym and it is a blast.  You know that myth that all Latinos are good at soccer?  Well its not a myth, its true.  Some are better than others, but they are all really good!  I get shown up all the time, but i still love it.  Also, every night here we have 'La Fruta' which is a time at the end of the night when everyone goes into the cafeteria and just eat fruit, its awesome!  There is this awesome fruit here called a Granadia.  When you crack it open it looks like gooey fish eggs or brains or something, but it tastes delicious, new favorite fruit for the moment!

Today has been fun too, we went to the Lima temple and everything was in Spanish, so that was interesting!  Then afterwards we walked around the city a little bit and went into stores.  The stuff here is so cheap, I have to be careful not to buy a ton of stuff since its easy to buy a lot!  Then this Saturday we are going out into the field to proselyte!  I guess we get bussed out of the city into the country and going knocking on doors and street contacting, its gonna be nuts!

Lima Temple

Anyway hope you are all doing well, I wish I could write more!  I really hate this 30 minute timer they have on these computers!  I miss guys!  Talk to you next week!

Pictures next week, sorry!


Mom writing now... I found this picture of the Granadia fruit on google.  It DOES look like brains! 

No comments:

Post a Comment