November 27, 2012
It's me again! Our P-day has officially been moved up to Tuesdays here, sweet! It's crazy here right now because my district and the other American district are the only people here! All the other 120 Elders went out into the field today! So we all have the place to ourselves for the day and its gonna be so chill! Only 20 of us running this whole place :)
Its been a really good week, super fast too! Proselyting was really awesome too! This last Saturday we went out into the field again, but instead of knocking on doors and getting contacts for the missionaries to teach, we went and visited less active members and invited them to church. We still went to San Gregorio, but this time we went way out of the main city. We had to hop on a small combi (basically just a tiny dirty bus) and ride for 30 minutes on tiny dusty dirt roads out of the town into the mountains! This place was nuts. The houses are literally built on the side of the hill/mountain on a small platform. Most of the houses were just four walls. Hardly any of them even had a ceiling. Most of the time they had one little corner of their house with a piece of sheet metal that acted as the roof. The walls at the top are covered with barbed wire and broken glass and stuff. Who needs ADT right? But seriously, that's their anti-theft mechanism. Because you can literally just hop the wall and be in their house. But the people are so great here, so friendly and inviting. And SUPER humble. Anyway we had a lot of cool little experiences talking with the members and telling them how they were missed at church and teaching them certain things here and there. The Spirit was always there, especially when we would testify. It is just so cool to go out and actually help people instead of be locked up in the CCM all day!
Other than proselyting we haven't really done anything out of the ordinary. Its been just a normal week of learning the Gospel and trying to improve my Spanish. It really is crazy to think that two months ago I was sitting at home, probably playing a game of Halo. And now I am walking through the mountains of Peru, trying to spread the Gospel in Spanish. Just nuts to think about, but I love it. My Spanish really is coming along, and I can usually say whatever I want to when it comes to the Gospel. Its when I try to hold a conversation about anything else were my Spanish is really lacking. Solely because we don't learn that stuff here, we kinda just have to acquire it. But I've found that most phrases I say in English, are even funnier to all the Latinos in Spanish. For example, Esto es por què no podemos tener buenas cosas (this is why we can't have nice things), that always gets a laugh. Or, No puede venir al medio tiempo y esperar jugar (you can't come in at halftime and expect to play). But really nothing exciting to report. We play beach volleyball all the time for gym and basically destroy any and all opponents, so its really fun. Only three more weeks though, then I'm off to Bolivia, can't wait!
What I really want is for everyone who reads my message this week to realize how incredibly blessed we all are. Obviously we all have our own personal problems and challenges, but think of how much the Lord has blessed us with. We are never concerned where our next meal will come from, we know we will always have a roof over our head that will keep us safe from the heat and the cold and the elements. The people here literally have almost nothing, but they still get along just fine. Remember that no matter how bad or crazy life gets, know that there are people out there who would kill to be in the same position with the same opportunities as us. I literally couldn't have imagined anything like this if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes and been inside these peoples houses. It is incredibly humbling to be out here and see just how much I have. It really makes me wonder why I have been so overwhelmingly blessed in my life. But I am so much more grateful for everything now.
Hope you all are doing well, I miss you guys and pray for you always!
Love,
Elder Sehestedt
"If God be for us, who can be against us?" -Romans 8:31
It's me again! Our P-day has officially been moved up to Tuesdays here, sweet! It's crazy here right now because my district and the other American district are the only people here! All the other 120 Elders went out into the field today! So we all have the place to ourselves for the day and its gonna be so chill! Only 20 of us running this whole place :)
Its been a really good week, super fast too! Proselyting was really awesome too! This last Saturday we went out into the field again, but instead of knocking on doors and getting contacts for the missionaries to teach, we went and visited less active members and invited them to church. We still went to San Gregorio, but this time we went way out of the main city. We had to hop on a small combi (basically just a tiny dirty bus) and ride for 30 minutes on tiny dusty dirt roads out of the town into the mountains! This place was nuts. The houses are literally built on the side of the hill/mountain on a small platform. Most of the houses were just four walls. Hardly any of them even had a ceiling. Most of the time they had one little corner of their house with a piece of sheet metal that acted as the roof. The walls at the top are covered with barbed wire and broken glass and stuff. Who needs ADT right? But seriously, that's their anti-theft mechanism. Because you can literally just hop the wall and be in their house. But the people are so great here, so friendly and inviting. And SUPER humble. Anyway we had a lot of cool little experiences talking with the members and telling them how they were missed at church and teaching them certain things here and there. The Spirit was always there, especially when we would testify. It is just so cool to go out and actually help people instead of be locked up in the CCM all day!
Other than proselyting we haven't really done anything out of the ordinary. Its been just a normal week of learning the Gospel and trying to improve my Spanish. It really is crazy to think that two months ago I was sitting at home, probably playing a game of Halo. And now I am walking through the mountains of Peru, trying to spread the Gospel in Spanish. Just nuts to think about, but I love it. My Spanish really is coming along, and I can usually say whatever I want to when it comes to the Gospel. Its when I try to hold a conversation about anything else were my Spanish is really lacking. Solely because we don't learn that stuff here, we kinda just have to acquire it. But I've found that most phrases I say in English, are even funnier to all the Latinos in Spanish. For example, Esto es por què no podemos tener buenas cosas (this is why we can't have nice things), that always gets a laugh. Or, No puede venir al medio tiempo y esperar jugar (you can't come in at halftime and expect to play). But really nothing exciting to report. We play beach volleyball all the time for gym and basically destroy any and all opponents, so its really fun. Only three more weeks though, then I'm off to Bolivia, can't wait!
What I really want is for everyone who reads my message this week to realize how incredibly blessed we all are. Obviously we all have our own personal problems and challenges, but think of how much the Lord has blessed us with. We are never concerned where our next meal will come from, we know we will always have a roof over our head that will keep us safe from the heat and the cold and the elements. The people here literally have almost nothing, but they still get along just fine. Remember that no matter how bad or crazy life gets, know that there are people out there who would kill to be in the same position with the same opportunities as us. I literally couldn't have imagined anything like this if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes and been inside these peoples houses. It is incredibly humbling to be out here and see just how much I have. It really makes me wonder why I have been so overwhelmingly blessed in my life. But I am so much more grateful for everything now.
Hope you all are doing well, I miss you guys and pray for you always!
Love,
Elder Sehestedt
"If God be for us, who can be against us?" -Romans 8:31
| Hey guys! Not a whole lot of new pictures this week, but we are going on a tour today, so I should have more next week! One is with me and Elder Gomez, probably the tiniest guy I've ever met. He is definitely my favorite Latino here, super funny! |
![]() |
| Peru MTC Elders - Thanks Elder Hudson (in the very back) for the picture. |
| This one is just a random picture of the Peru MTC courtyard. |

No comments:
Post a Comment