Sounds like everyone has had a good week! That's crazy that it has been so cold! Its been pretty hot here! Yesterday was face-melting hot during the afternoon, then at about 3 a huge storm rolled in. It was like the end of the world! Tons of lightning, giant claps of thunder, raining a ton. And we were out going to appointments! Eventually we hid under a bus, ya picture that, two missionaries and one of the young men from the ward hiding under a bus to get out of the rain. We decided that wasn't working out so we ran to a members house that was a couple blocks away and took shelter there. We talked for about an hour and a half because we seriously couldn't leave, but it was fun. After that it was a normal day!
Hope everyone had a good new years! They do not mess around here, they party hard! They lit off probably thousands of fireworks on new years eve. By they I mean the people surrounding our house. I know people say that Bolivia is super poor, but you wouldn't know it by the vast amount of money they burned on fireworks (get it?). So I couldn't sleep forever, but it was cool to watch the fireworks. Obviously there aren't any regulations either, cuz they were all airborne mortars. But the next day everything was shut down, I didn't see a single store open all day, and we usually pass a lot. And there were lots of guys just hammered, sleeping on corners. So like I said, they party hard. It was hard to get anything done that day cuz everyone was either gone or sleeping or recovering.
Other than that not much has happened, its been a regular week! Just visiting lots of people, member, less actives, and investigators. One really cool experience I had this week was with an investigator named Janet. We had an appointment set up with an investigator, but she wasn't there, instead Janet was. So we talked with her for a little bit outside, then she let us in and we taught her the first lesson, which is about the Restoration of the Gospel. Near the end of the lesson I had an impression to invite her to be baptized. At first I kinda ignored it but I just kept thinking it. At that point I realized that it was definitely the Spirit telling me to do it. So at the end when I was bearing my testimony to her, I extended to her the Baptismal invitation, and she accepted! Keep in mind that this is the first time we have ever even seen Janet. So that was really cool. It was difficult to hide the big smile I had on my face. But we set up a Baptism date of Feb. 2, so hopefully we can keep teaching her and
follow through with that date. We got out of the lesson and Elder Palacios was super impressed that I did that, since I only have two weeks here, but he said I did a really good job. So that was the cool experience of the week!
Not much else going on. We have a Baptism this Saturday. He's a 13 year old named Jhoni (no that's not a typo). He just moved to Tarija with his family from Santa Cruz. His whole family are converts recently, and he is the only one he wasn't baptized. Which is odd cuz since our first lesson with him he was super willing and accepting of everything. Anyway we have that on the 12th, and I think that's the only thing that's really exciting that I know of.
Kind of a short letter today, but not much has happened, not much out of the ordinary anyway. Hope you all are doing well! I pray for you guys all the time! Talk to you next week! I'll try to send some pics, but like I said, the internet here is awful!
Love,
Elder Sehestedt
| Took this from the roof of our house. Just so you can kinda see what the surroundings are like. |
| This is from the very outskirts of Tarija, looking in on the city. |
| We got to visit the Cochabamba Temple grounds when we first arrived in Bolivia, but didn't get to go inside, not yet at least. Picture taken December 19, 2012. |
No comments:
Post a Comment